In a recent talk at Integrate 2021 I wanted to talk about some of the different options available to help you in the instrumentation and operations space around your logic app solutions.
For more info about the solution and each of the different demo approaches check out these sub pages:
- The Demo
- Log Analytics OOTB Logic App Management Solution
- Log Analytics with the Data Collector API
- App Insights with Logic Apps
- BAM with Logic Apps
Which approach can I use with Other Technologies
All of the approaches we discussed can be used with more than just logic apps and often you will be building integration solutions which use more than just Logic Apps too. The below table is my view on which approachs you might use with each different technology.
- By Log Analytics OOTB we mean the Logic App solution that you can add for Log Analytics to provide additional solution capabilities. There are some other log analytics capabilities for certain technologies but they are not within the scope of what I mean by the OOTB logic app solution for log analytics.
- For Serverless360 BAM with Logic Apps Standard it is possible to use them but you can not use the custom connector approach like you would do with Logic Apps Consumption. BAM is just an API so you have a few options available such as HTTP action, APIM. Quite often people use APIM or a helper Logic App as an abstraction anyway so its a similar approach to what many already use.
Which Technology best fits each user type
The below table represents my view on which type of user would benefit from the different features in each technology.
Whats the difference
I think in the real world a solution can leverage multiple of these approaches because they tell you different information that is aimed at a different audience. If we think about the information available when you are driving a car that might be a good comparison for the different approaches available here.
Log Analytics / App Insights
Log Analytics and App Insights integration from your logic apps is like the engine telemetry from your car. Its collected on the computer about how your car is performing and when you go to the garage the mechanic can access it to see whats happening and troubleshoot problems.
Log Analytics Data Collector
The Log Analytics Data Collector is like a GPS tracker on your car which is logging context information about where you are and can help track down your location if you need to call breakdown services.
BAM is like the dashboard on your car, as the driver you need to use the car but may not know about how it works in much detail. It has indicators showing you if there is a major problem where you need to seek help and it also has a SatNav display showing you where you are and also where your trying to get to and your progress on the journey.
I hope you have found the pages in this section will give you lots of ideas about how you might use the different technologies we have discussed here to help you build great integration solutions where the monitoring, instrumentation and management of the solution can leverage Log Analytics, App Insights and BAM to take them to the next level.